Sunday, May 25, 2008

Finnish Spelling



I think this sums it up for Finnish spelling, You write what you hear so you say what you write. Appearantly (apparently) there are no spelling tests in Finnish schools, there is nothing to test.
It also explains some trouble I had understanding some words that I heard, someone said to me that a feature was 'dis ab led' (pronounce it as it were separate words but without pausing at the spaces and you might get what I mean). It was just the Finnish accent.

4 comments:

kees said...

at liist thei dont rite peace wit one I and 2 S.

Nicole said...

That's like Croatian. You write exactly how you speak. There are no hidden sounds or sounds that change depending on the meaning.

Words like "neighbour" are a nightmare for Croatians learning English, they would pronounce that as: neh-eeg-h-bo-uhr. And imagine jewellery, success, Wednesday etc.

Vincent said...

No spelling tests? Is that for real?

Unknown said...

Hi Vincent: for real: see http://www.spellingdearest.com/wst_page7.html, do a search on Finnish on that page and you might be convinced. ( I found it in a book for foreigners moving to Finland, so that information should be quite accurate, as a sidenote this blog article is number 10 or so when you do a google search on 'finnish spelling'