Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Niewendammerdijk

The other day I cycled down to the Schellingwouder Brug to buy some plants. I decided to go down the Niewendammerdijk, an old dike in Amsterdam-noord.



Actually this is the old Leeuwarderweg but part of the dike.

Small old houses

It is part of the Noorder IJ en Zee dijk.

The beginning of the Niewendammerdijk.

You will also find typical (partial) wooden houses here.


A lock halfway.

The house of the lock-keeper.

The pillar indicating that this is a part of the Noorder IJ en Zee dijk.

A ferry stop and some strange construction of houses/apartments, judging by the moored boats not a cheap place to live.

Look Vincent: people; waiting for the ferry.

Another view of the dike.

There are not only old houses on the dike, also some very modern.

Not quite sure if I like it that much, The 'schoonheids commisie' might have been asleep when permissions were given.

This house is next to the very modern one.

This used to be a private hospital.



Obligatory picture of cat sleeping on the pavement (it was a very warm day).

3 comments:

Nicole said...

What a beautiful place! Stunning houses! I mean the old ones. That new place which they have mistakenly titled as a "Villa" on the sign, must be a joke. It resembles a concrete box.

I love the new look blog and the photos! Great new look!

Vincent said...

Great new look you picked, much nicer than before I think.

Great photo's. Unbelievable that this is so close to Amsterdam. The wooden houses are a bit traditional for that area I think since it's close to the Zaan area maybe?

Do the people waiting for the ferry have to do with photo's of people waiting on my blog? You may want to check out today's post in that case. I swear I hadn't seen your blog before I took those photo's hehe.

Very nice photo's. Beautiful place.

kees said...

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, they say :-)

Nice new look! I also like the abundance of photos. It gives me ideas where to go for a walk next time. At least 'Noord' is around the corner, unlike Adelaide.