Sunday, April 6, 2008

lapmods

No picture this time. I am trying to mod two laptops (thank you Vincent), 1 is a 233 MHz Toshiba (I think 92Mb memory) and the other one a 330 MHz/128Mb) Kind of disconnect the screen and stick it on the back of the laptop, but then nicely in a box.
1 should end up in the kitchen allowing me to play music there,the other near/on the dinner table as a remote control for my music.

I installed XP Fundamentals, a light verion of XP, (a copy I found lying around). I first tried it on the harddisks and later on a 2gb Compactflash card. Due to the age of the harddisks XP is very noisy (lots of swapping) and too slow when using the CF.

So I thought I also try DSL, Damn Small Linux, this runs fine on the 233Mhz one with the Flash Card but it only recognizes (and can use) the wireless card that is in the other (XP lite). The XP Lite however does not recognize the other Card when it is plugged in, It does get recognized in other laptops (a complete reinstall of XP might be the only option left).

No comments: